Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Bandwagon Fans

For years when I have gone into public wearing Orioles attire, the comments have always ranged from "you know they suck" to "why would you wear that, its a disgrace to our city". Finally the wait is over, and all the hate is gone. Orioles Magic is here! All over baltimore EVERYONE is wearing Orioles jerseys, shirts, hats, ect. Orioles merchandise has become some of the most bought merchandise in the country this year. Now, having a team with sell out games and an exponential growth of fans is great, but what the question boils down to is who are the true fans? What will happen if next year the Orioles go back to their old ways, will the fans still be there? From where I stand, if you are not a true fan, get out. We don't need you. Baltimore has some of the best fans in the world. Yes the fans have exponentially grown, but you can always tell who is the true fan, the man or women walking down the street with the old tattered t-shirt on who has been supporting the O's since the day they were born. Those fans are who Baltimore truly appreciates, they are who baltimore really needs. GO O's!

6 comments:

  1. I 100% agree to your post! Being true to your favorite team shows just how dedicated you are! I am a broncos fan who currently lives in Iowa. Not the greatest but I do not let it hinder my Bronco spirit. Those who follow teams who are doing "hot" that season just follow the crowd. They are not able to make certain decisions based on what the public will think of them. Stick with the Orioles and I'll stick the Broncos. #StayTrue

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Brian Goedken from Starmont High School, agree with most of your post. True fans stay with the same team through there up and even there downs every year and they never switch teams. It’s good to see many different people being fans of different teams and even the same teams. If everyone liked the same team it would be kind of boring because you couldn’t make bets to see who’s going to win and everyone would be wearing same team clothing and have same fan advertisement things. I am a Steelers and Iowa Hawkeyes fan ever sent I was born and I will always be a fan of thoughts two teams. GO HAWKS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lewis,

    I agree with you completely. I think that bandwagon fans are extremely annoying. I think it is hard to even call them fans. A few examples that I think of are fans of Spain and Barcelona Soccer fans and Heat fans. I think that true fans are with and support the team through wins and especially losses. True fans should be connected to their team whether they were born there or their brother is on the team. I think that being a true fan can be hard sometimes but can also be the most rewarding. Again, bandwagoners aren't really fans but are just rooting for the winning team because they don't want to support a loser.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lewis,
    I really liked your post. I agree with your thoughts. Being true to your team is really showing your dedication. I live in Portland and I follow the Blazers and I have liked them ever since they came out of the "Jail Blazers" era. I find it sometimes annoying for people to jump on the bandwagon right as the team is doing good. But do you think that even if you that people join late the bandwagon, can you still call them a true fan?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lewis,
    I agree with the fact that bandwagons are annoying, but they are also essential. Without the bandwagon fans that buy tickets and merchandise there would be no team. Something, or someone I should say, has to fuel the annual costs to run this team and without sell-out games and profit from the merchandise the team would not be where they are today. Although annoying, these fans are essential to keep a team like the Orioles or the Blazers (my team) in their home towns.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lewis,

      I found your post extremely interesting, and agree with most points you made. I agree that bandwagon fans may be a nuisance, but they are a necessary part of how an organization makes money. Although the true fans support the teams during their worst seasons, during the best of times bandwagon fans make up more of the money than the actual fans do for the club, so both fan groups are important. I would like to hear your opinion on this.
      Thanks,
      Matthew

      Delete